“I imagined my life like a beer commercial . . .
I knew where I was going- everywhere!
I wanted to do everything,
and I wanted to do it now.
And to my great pleasure,
it was all happening.”
- David Hatcher Childress
Mine is a story of restless nights. Of glorious and oft painful mornings. Of starting over - again and again. Of too much dreaming in an internet age. Of waking up to home not being the same as the place you happen to be from.
A story of the fleeting friendships passing in opposite directions. Of forgotten cities and vast urbanscapes. Of miracles of man and Earth seen by too few and by so many.
A story of a blue bag stitched with Summit, small notebook computer, and the erewhile Michigander who carries them through the world for as long as they all might last.
I hate the cliche of ‘come and follow my adventures’. But that’s just what this has become for me; an adventure. The is my travel journal; my story so far.
- At Land’s End, A Beginning: Copper Harbor
- Roads through Forgotten Memories: the Keweenaw Peninsula
- A Second Try in Houghton
- A Detour: Ontonagon and Rockland
- Life in the Northern Micropolis: Marquette, MI
- The Marquette Micropolitan Area
- A Crossroads In Seney
- The Straits of Mackinac
- The Road Home: Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Downtown Grand Rapids
- But Home In Nowhere
- A One Way Ticket: San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Back In the City: San Juan, Puerto Rico
- My Accidental Trip to Old Town, San Juan
- The Decaying Beach Resort: Isla Verde
- A Bar and a Beach, the Condado Experience
- Welcome to Culebra, Puerto Rico
- Life at Sea; Culebra to Massachusetts Aboard the Wanderbird
- My Landfall in Gloucester, Massachusetts
- The Unknown Road
- Hub of the Universe: Boston, Massachusetts
- Visiting the Peace Corp
- Onward to Downtown Boston
- On and Off the Freedom Trail: Boston’s North End
- America’s Stonehenge: Megalithic Ruins, Ancient Sailors and . . . Alpacas
- City Driving ≠ Fun (Day One)
- City Driving ≠ Fun (Day Two)
- My Perfect Backpack Setup
- New York Nights: Spider-Man and the Key of Awesome
- New York Priority One: Chinatown Food!
- Walking The “Real” New York
- A Lesson in Eerie Tranquility: Coney Island, NY
- Pre-Thailand Chores; Informations and Vaccinations
- Visa Run, Chicago
- Humans, the Lonely Gods: An Essay on Our Artificial Oversoul
- Lessons From My First Night in Bangkok.
- Waking Up in Bangkok – Part 1
- Waking Up in Bangkok – Part 2
- A DMV Abroad: The U.S. Embassy of Bangkok
- Oh, there’s a red light district around the corner? I probably shouldn’t go there.
- Getting Tuk-tukked Over on ‘Buddha Day’
- Through Floods and Foggy Mountains to Chiang Mai.
- Chiang Mai Walks in Pictures
- To the Mountaintop Temple: Wat Doi Suthep
- The Eightfold Path Underground – the Forest Tunnels of Wat Umong
- Into the Northern Mountains: Chiang Mai Trek – Day 1
- Into the Northern Mountains: Chiang Mai Trek – Day 2
- Elephants, Troubles, and the World’s Biggest Buffet: Surin, Thailand
- Elephants Aren’t the Only Wild Animals in Surin
- Nang Rong: A Detour
- Phanom Rung and the Great Motorbike Adventure
- Udon Thani . . . meh
- Pasts Forgotten in Isan – Ban Chiang, Thailand
- Back to Bangkok – the American TESOL Institute (ATI)
- American TESOL Institute (ATI) Review – Pre-Course Experience
- American TESOL Institute (ATI) Review – In-Course Experience
- American TESOL Institute (ATI) Review – Post-Course Experience
- American TESOL Institute (ATI) Review – Overall
- Moving to Work in Thailand
- First Day of School, Thailand
- Phuket. ‘Paradise’. At Night.
- Phuket’s Other Side – An Island Cruise
- Thailand’s Western Frontier Town – Kanchanaburi
- The 7 Tiered Waterfall – Erawan National Park, Thailand
- Angkor’s Last Outpost – Prasat Muang Sing
- A Walk Along the Death Railway
- New Year’s Eve in Bangkok
- 14.02.2012 – Bombings in Bangkok, Life Goes On As Normal
- Learning “Skål!” in Hua Hin
- Down the Elephant’s Trunk
- From Bikers to Monkeys – Prachuap Khiri Khan
- Phun Phin: A Detour
- Khao Sok Park – the ‘Getting There’ Problem
- Khao Sok National Park – a Hike in Pictures
- Khao Sok Park – Nightlife in the Jungle
- Cry for the Moon – Koh Phangan’s Full Moon Party
- A Michigan Island in Surat Thani?
- “Don’t go there. You’ll get blown up!” – Hat Yai, Thailand
- Crossing the Malaysia Border at Sadao
- Lore of the Dragon Valley – the Ruins of Lembah Bujang
- Sundown in Penang
- Getting High in Kuala Lumpur
- The Batu Caves – Riding Out the Storm
- A Melaka Introduction
- A Melaka Night
- A Melaka Day